Friday 12 August 2011

Attachment

In my line of work, it can help if you don't become attached too much. We're only human, however, and it doesn't always work that way. I've known dozens of tenants over my 13 years in this job, and I've loved some, liked others and loathed the odd one. I wonder why? Why is it we have a natural affinity with some people and not others?
In my 13 years here, approximately 20 of the tenants have died. I've felt genuinely sad over very few. Some were tenants for years and I got to know them quite well, and shared many good and bad times with them. Others weren't here for quite so long, and yet I still feel the same sadness.
I was informed this morning of a tenant's death. She had been here less than 2 years but was fully involved with all events and very popular with other tenants. I am very, very sad today, but grateful to have known her and thinking of her family at this heartbreaking time for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment